Web analytics can often prove that your organization’s web marketing strategy isn’t working to meet your conversion goals. If the numbers show this, you can:
1. Panic. When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream, and shout!
2. Make changes. Look at the data and think critically about what the numbers say and then make calculated opinions about why the data shows what it shows and work to make the site function better.
Variables that impact success can include:
– Bad advertising placement (not the right targeting, placement, or venue)
– Messaging that doesn’t speak to the end user
– Design that doesn’t appeal to the target customer
– Poor website architecture (People don’t know where to go or what to do.)
– Low-visibility calls to action (People are not being funneled to where they need to go.)
Online marketing is a mix of creating ideas, executing them, monitoring them, then going back to the first step. Measurement is a critical success step and needs to be woven into the overall plan.